Friday, December 30, 2016

Translations of the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius

There are many translations of the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius.  It is important, I think, to know what you are getting when you get a copy of the Meditations for your study.  I think if you are reading Marcus Aurelius for the first time you should consider getting the best translation, which is by Maxwell Staniforth (1964) on Amazon here.  Here is the opening line from the Staniforth translation.  "Courtesy and serenity of temper I first learnt to know from  my grandfather Versus."  This version is not in the public domain so you need to buy a copy of the book.  The book is out of print, so when you buy it on the used book market there is a chance your seller will mess up and send you another book from Penguin Classics, but you don't want that translation because it is flat and lifeless.  You should get the 1964 version from Maxwell Staniforth.  Here is a photo of the book cover.
The book is isbn 0140441409.  There a second entry for the 1964 book on Amazon.  It is odd that there are two entries for the same book on Amazon, but Amazon is not perfect.  You want the out-of-print Penguin edition because the new translation (2002) that is in-print is awful.

Here are other versions of this first verse from the Meditations.

"Of my grandfather Versus I have learned to be gentle and meek, and to refrain from all anger and passion."  Translator:  Meric Casaubon in 1634.  This is available online at Project Gutenberg as the Meditations.

"From my grandfather Versus I learned to relish the beauty of manners, and to restrain all anger." Translator:  Francis Hutcheson (1742).  Online link.

"From my grandfather Versus I learned good morals and the government of my temper."
Translated by George Long (1862).  A Dover Thrift edition available online here.  I do like the Dover Thrift edition.  This is also available online from Project Gutenberg as
THE THOUGHTS OF MARCUS AURELIUS ANTONINUS.  Yes, there are two versions of the Meditations at Project Gutenberg.

"From my Grandfather Versus, a kindly disposition and sweetness of temper."  Translated by C. R. Haines 1915.  You can briefly view an online copy here.  The Haines translation can be purchased as a book here.

Now you can select the version of the Meditations you like best. Enjoy your reading!


Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment