Friday, June 12, 2015

What is NS-ESD-22.0.2.17-EN.exe or NSDownloader.exe ?

When Norton Live Update broke my installation of Norton I looked at the installation files and I found a couple of files I was curious about.  But when I looked on the internet, asking "What is NS-ESD-22.0.2.17-EN.exe?" and "What is NSDownloader.exe ?"  I found nothing.

Now that I've taken these out for a spin I can tell you about them.  NS-ESD-22.0.2.17-EN.exe uninstalls Norton Security.  NSDownloader.exe installs Norton Security.  Run NS-ESD-22.0.2.17-EN.exe first and then run NSDownloader.exe.  Both take time, but this will resurrect your broken Norton Security.

Here's what broke my Norton:  when I ran Live Update before going to bed, Live Update said I needed to restart my computer.  I said, "I am ready for bed, I'll shut it down and the software update will finish installing when I next start my computer."  Surely stopping and then starting the computer is a restart, right?  Well, that did not work.  No matter how many times I restarted the computer the next day, the same message box would appear:  "Restart your computer to finish the Norton Update."  Yikes!  Norton was broken!

I had to uninstall and reinstall Norton.  "Start Menu > All Programs > Norton > Norton Installation Files" will take you to a folder with NS-ESD-22.0.2.17-EN.exe and NSDownloader.exe and now you know how to use them.

Remember not to run Live Update unless you have time to restart your computer!

Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment